Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Desi Style Veg Fried Rice

My first post in this blog !! I've always been a foodie just like my sis Sandhya but I'm quite lazy to cook up a storm, unlike her :D Having been on my own here in Abu Dhabi for the past 3 years, I have had the time to experiment and try out different recipes. I must admit though, that I still stick to the ones that don't take too much of time to prepare ;-) So if there's one thing that will be common in my recipes here, it's the fact that they're all done in a jiffy and with minimum ingredients.

Here's my recipe for desi-style fried rice ! Do try and let me know how you liked it !


First, I got the veggies all chopped and ready. I added frozen peas and corn to this too at the time of cooking. You can add anything of your choice, i.e baby corn, mushrooms, paneer etc. More the merrier !

I also separately cooked the rice and set it aside. The rice needs to be al dente, but don't worry if it becomes a little mushy. It will separate out nicely when it is getting fried.


The cooking begins !! Take two woks, in one add a bit of cooking oil and start to saute the spring onions.

In the other wok, add a bit of oil and toss in the rice. Keep it on a medium flame and allow it to brown. You can add a dab of butter over it for flavour. Keep stirring it to let the grains separate well and start to get browned.


The veggies are busy getting cooked. My husband likes his food a little in the desi style, so to the vegetables I added salt, a little white pepper and a hint of ginger-garlic paste. I also added tomato paste, a little of spaghetti sauce and a couple of teaspoons of evaporated milk.

At this stage, if you want to retain the white-ivory colour of your fried rice dish, you can make a white sauce and saute your veggies in that - it will work well !!


Ready to be mixed !



I tossed both the rice and the veggies together and garnished with fried cashewnuts. My SIL is very fond of that garnish and it tastes really nice!


1 comment: